Header

Image Map

Friday, March 27, 2015

Tips for Traveling to Jamaica

I just loved our travels to Jamaica - and thought I might share some things that I wish we would have known before we left.  Perhaps, this will help you when you travel there as well!



1.   Two Words: Club Mobay!  When you book your flights, you can pay an extra $60 per person for this.  We didn't do it, but we wish we would have.  We were in Jamaica over Spring Break, and the line through customs took almost two hours... with another hour and half drive to our resort, we pretty much lost our first day.  Club Mobay brings you to the front of the line when it comes to customs.  You can do the same on your way home too!

2.  When you are traveling back home, leave for the airport extra early.  We left our hotel at 9:00 AM for a 1:00 PM flight.  There was no downtime... An hour and a half drive to the airport, a line to check bags, a line to get into the security line (it was unlike I have ever seen!), and a long walk to the gate.  We literally walked onto the plane just in time.

3.  Make sure your luggage tag has your name written on it just as it reads on your passport.  My luggage tag said "Jenny" and they made me re-write my luggage tag so it said "Jennifer".  

4.  Keep your passport and boarding pass handy when you are leaving Jamaica.  They asked to see mine at least 5 times... once when checking bags, twice through security, once when before boarding, and then right before I stepped on the plane.  It was kind of insane, but I appreciate that they were keeping things safe.  

3.  While in Jamaica, bring your water shoes (especially if you go to Dunn's River Falls).  It was kind of funny... we brought ours, but every time we put them on, someone was telling us to take them off.  They don't recommend wearing them when swimming at Dolphin Cove.

4.  Packing tips:  Bring something white to wear.  Many of the resorts have a "white party".  Also, I think I am finished bringing laptops on trips (too heavy!).  I'm sticking with the I-Pad and keyboard.  And, though I remembered my razor this time, I forgot band-aids... I didn't have the issue in Cancun, but I stepped on some sharp shells on the beach and could have used one.   (See my post here, for other packing tips). 

5.  For those interested in visiting the Jamaica, I would reiterate the importance of staying on your resort and leaving only through excursions.  Jamaica is not a place where I would rent a car and explore on my own.  We set up an excursion through the resort and our driver, Happy, offered to take us to Negril for shopping and Rick's Cafe.  Even he told us to stay close to him and walk away from anyone asking for change.  

Would I go back to Jamaica?  Most definitely!  I've been to many Carribean islands, but nothing compares to the Jamaican sunsets.  We stayed on a quiet side of the island in Westmoreland so next time we would likely visit Ocho Rios or Montego Bay.   It is a trip that is definitely worth it!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Jasper Roberts - Blog