Header

Image Map

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Lovely Larimar

A popular gemstone found in the Caribbean is Larimar.  When I researched the stone, I learned that it is mined in the Dominican Republic and sold in various areas of the Caribbean.  The stone reminds me of the beautiful turquoise waters, and can vary in the blue and green hues that capture the colors of the sea.

In my experiences, the stones are most often set in sterling silver... Just like with most jewelry, the bigger the stone, the more expensive the jewelry piece.  The same can be true of the weight of the silver and number of Larimar stones.  Some pieces also incorporate other semi-precious stones such as topaz, sapphires... Even diamonds.

While shopping in Jamaica, Larimar was easy to spot.  Yes, if you know me, I picked up an $1100 bracelet... and then very carefully, put it back down.  (I can't help that I have good taste!). That debacle occurred at random duty-free shop in Negril. 

I wanted to be sure I would be getting a quality piece at a fair price, so we checked the jewelry shop at the Sandal's resort that we stayed at.  I immediately fell in love with this ring: 

(Not showing my nails because they are not-so-polished looking!)
The stone was set in sterling silver and had a gorgeous small diamond accent.  The price was right at a little over $200.

My husband shook his head no (as he often does). "You have so much jewelry" was his response.  I needed find a way to make him understand why I need this ring in my life... But, all I can think to say was that it would be a special token from our trip and it is something I could share with our daughter one day.  We ended up leaving the store, and I proceed to visit the ring almost every day after.  The sales lady knew who I was (and probably thought I was nuts). 

On our final day of the trip, I coaxed my husband into the store one last time to see if the ring was still available.  The sales lady pulled out all the rings, and it was gone.  Sold that afternoon... The look of sheer disappointment must have covered my face.  Alas, the ring was not meant to be.  Perhaps a different ring?  No, there was only The One.  I was sad.

So, we left the store to meet our friends, James and Kasey, for a final dinner.  Kasey asked me,  "Did they have the ring?"  I sheepishly shook my head, "No, it was sold this afternoon."  Then, a giddy grin appeared on my husband's face as he replied, "Yeah, that's because they sold it to me," and he pulled a velvet pouch out of his pocket.  I must have looked at him with both surprise and shock, as he slipped the ring on my finger saying, "I had to make you suffer a little".  He is definitely a master of surprises.  

I love the ring, and the story behind it makes it that much more special to me.  I often catch myself staring at it, thinking of our trip and the wonderful memories of our time together in Jamaica. 

If you are interested in jewelry made with Laimar, but aren't going to the Carribean any time soon, you can find some selections on Amazon and Etsy.  You could also ask your local jeweler if they have any pieces available or if they are able to order pieces in for you!  I would be interested to learn what other places Larimar is available in the States.  

Thanks for letting me share my Larimar story with you!  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Jasper Roberts - Blog