Header

Image Map

Monday, January 12, 2015

Party Planning 101


This is something I am fairly good at (I think).  At least that's what they keep telling me.  So, I am going to share with you how I go about planning a party...

Get the ball rolling... 
 I like to begin by thinking of a theme (or decided whether or not there will be a theme).  Sometimes the party centers around certain colors, an age, or an idea.  Once you pick your theme/colors/idea, make sure to stick to it.  If you start to include too many other ideas, the party won't be as cohesive.

Decide on key elements...
There are certain elements that are almost always included in a party.  Things like the venue, cake/dessert, food, activities, and invitations.  Here are some things to consider when picking out these elements:

  • Venue - Depending on how elaborate the party is, I think choosing a venue is probably the most important.  You'll need to think about the date/time, to ensure the venue is available when you need it.  You'll also want to think about space - is it big enough for everyone you are inviting to be comfortable?  And, is it set-up for the activities (like dancing, eating, games, etc.)?  There are pros and cons to all venues.  Think about what will be best for you and your family.
  • Invitations - There are so many options for invitations out there these days!  You can DIY, purchase at a party store, order on Etsy, or from a local printing store.  I like for the invitations to coordinate with the theme of the party.  Keep in mind, the invitation will be the first impression guests receive - so you want to make it a good one.  I could probably do a whole blog post on invitations alone.  They don't need to be fancy, but they do need to be readable.  Hence, make sure your font is big enough and the color contrasts enough with your invitation paper.  I'll stop there.  Let me know if you would like an expanded version in a post. 
  • Cake - There are so many options here.  Nowadays, for first birthday parties people often have a small "smash" cake for their little one.  If you choose to order a cake for guests as well, be sure to have an idea of how many will be eating the cake.  I usually bring a design (or a couple of designs) to the baker.  Think about whether or not you want fondant or regular frosting (fondant looks pretty, but doesn't taste so good).  I would add that just because cake is a "traditional" party element, it doesn't mean you have to have one.  Many hosts opt for cupcakes or cake pops instead!  Or, you can do a little of each.  
  • Food - Many times the food you offer, depends on the time of day the party is being at.  If it is in the before lunch time, think about breakfast items.  If it is in the afternoon, especially during the lunch or dinner hour, your guests may be expecting a meal.  Otherwise, if it is in-between, appetizers or finger foods work great.  I always try and keep my preparations easy - and there are many recipes available online, too!  Otherwise, you can always have the meal catered.  
  • Decor - A large part of the decor can come from the theme.  Pinterest is a wonderful place to get started.  Of course, there are always basic items to use - balloons, streamers, table clothes, plates, napkins, and even flatware can play a part.  I also like to keep out fresh flowers whenever we have parties!
  • Activities - Depending on the kind of party you are hosting, the activities can range.  Think about the purpose of the party and age-group of guests.  Sometimes the venue will offer different activities as well.  Would a D.I.Y Photo Booth be appropriate?  Or bean bag toss? 
I hope this helps get you started in hosting your next party!  There are a few parties that I will be attending, a couple I'll be hosting that I will be sure to feature on the blog soon.

Happy planning!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Jasper Roberts - Blog