Header

Image Map

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Hair How-To: The Double Dutch

While moseying around Pinterest this morning, a gorgeous hairstyle caught my attention.  It was the Double Dutch Braid... perfect for beating the summer heat.  When clicking the pin, there was no tutorial on how to re-create it soo... I've taken it upon myself to attempt to explain how this may have been created. 

Below is the picture I found on Pinterest.


So here we go!

Step 1: Section off your hair into 2 parts... Do so at an angle.  I usually use elastics to separate my hair.  Make sure your hair is brushed and tangle free as well!
Step 2: I began with the lower braid.  From the picture, you can see this is a Dutch braid.  This is basically an inverted French braid.  The difference is: instead of pulling hair over, as you would with a French braid, you pull hair under
Step 3: As you work on the Dutch braid, I only added hair from the top portion of my hair.You can braid all the way down to the tips of your hair, or stop at the nape of your neck.
Step 4:  Repeat the process with the second Dutch braid, beginning at the top of your hair.  I will say I found this part more difficult to braid.  I ended up spraying my hair with some water to help me manage (my hair is very thick and long).  If you end up having the same difficulty that I did, I would recommend re-sectioning the hair, so that there isn't quite so much on the top braid.  I also recommending tilting your head as you braid.  You can braid all the way down to the tips of your hair, or stop at the nape of your neck.
Step 5:  You can combine the braids together by twisting them together.  Or, use a bobby pin to wrap the braid around and elastic (as shown in the picture).

I ended up tugging on some the braid stitches and using bobby pins to keep the braids close together.  I am happy with my first attempt, but I know the next time I try, I will use less hair on top and more on the bottom braid.  Here is my re-creation:

It's not perfect, but it's a good start. :)
If my steps aren't quite enough description, I would recommend using YouTube to search on how to create a Dutch braid.  If you haven't ever braided before, remember to be patient with yourself and know that practice makes perfect.  And, messy braids are very much the look of today! :)

I hope you enjoyed this "Double Dutch" braid, and if you have any requests, please leave a comment below!

Thanks,


No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Jasper Roberts - Blog