Header

Image Map

Friday, February 6, 2015

My Home Diary: 2015

I always enjoy viewing and reading about different home improvement projects so, I thought I'd write a bit about my experience (and what to expect) when having wood floors put in!

 Before
Excuse the poor picture quality, this is from Christmas 2012.
It's the best picture I have of the living space with the carpet.

To start, I've included a "before" picture, and while you probably can't really tell (unless you're up close)- our carpets had been destroyed by our two chihuahuas.  With a 15 month old at home, for cleanliness and allergen purposes, we decided to add to the hickory wood floors coming off our kitchen.  

This is after day 1.  To be honest, I was really excited to see the carpet go…
even if we were left with nasty sub flooring for a day.
If you are thinking of putting in wood floors into your house, be prepared to have the wood delivered at home and "rest" at the house. From there, you'll have your carpet torn out and having the sub flooring for a bit.  

They are really coming along in this picture.
The beginning….
Everything really starts coming together once the wood is actually put down.  The sanding and dust was probably the most difficult to deal with.   It literally gets everywhere, so we did everything we could to protect furniture, etc.  Besides all the dust, you'll need to stay off the floors once they have been stained and finished.  We ended up staying at my parents for the week, just to avoid the dust and keep off the floors.  

After



In the end, the floors were totally worth it.  I LOVE them!  Our house feels and looks so much cleaner.  I'm not going to say it was "easy" - it took over a week to have completed - but, we're happy.   I wish we would have done this years ago… Of course, now I get to pick out a pretty area rug for the living room!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Jasper Roberts - Blog